Rewards Checking Plus
Maximize your rewards with direct deposit1
- Up to 2% cash back on purchases2
- Add Performance Savings to earn up to 5.07% APY3
- Get paid up to 2 days early4
- No monthly fees
Why upgrade to Rewards Checking Plus?
No monthly fees
No monthly fees and no overdraft fees5. Plus get reimbursed for ATM fees with an active account
Up to 2% cash back
Up to 2% cash back on common everyday expenses for active accounts with monthly $1,000 direct deposit, and up to 1% cash back for other purchases2. Finally, a debit card with outstanding rewards!
Get paid up to two days early
Customers with direct deposit can get paid up to two days early4 - pay bills, go shopping, or have a night out!
Up to 2% cash back on common everyday expenses2
Convenience and drug stores
1% cash back on everything else2
Pair Performance Savings with Rewards Checking Plus
"I have had nothing but the best customer service ever since I became part of the Upgrade family. Keep up the excellent work and customer service."
How it Works
Open an account online in just a few minutes.
Fund your account with the click of a button or set up direct deposit to have your paycheck deposited automatically each pay period.
Use your Rewards Checking Plus debit card anywhere Visa® is accepted and earn up to 2% cash back.2
What is a Rewards Checking Plus account?
- Rewards Checking Plus accounts are an easy way to upgrade your checking account experience. You’ll get an online checking account with no monthly fees and a debit card with rewards. And, get reimbursed for ATM fees with an active account.⁵
You can maximize your rewards with an Active Account with monthly $1,000 direct deposit. When you use your Upgrade VISA® Debit Card for purchases, you can earn up to 2% cash back on common everyday expenses (maximum of $500 in 2% rewards per calendar year) and unlimited 1% cash back on all other eligible debit card purchases, including on common everyday expenses after the $500 maximum with direct deposit.² And as an added bonus, Rewards Checking Plus customers can receive discounts on new personal loans and cards through Upgrade!⁶
Is money deposited in my Rewards Checking Plus or Performance Savings account FDIC-insured?
- Yes! Deposits held at Cross River Bank, Member FDIC, are insured up to $250,000. For Performance Savings, funds at Participating Institutions are eligible for FDIC or NCUA insurance.*
Upgrade is a financial technology company, not a bank. Checking and savings accounts are provided by Cross River Bank, Member FDIC.
How do I access my money?
- You can use your Rewards Checking Plus Upgrade VISA® Debit Card wherever Visa® is accepted. It’s also easy to add your debit card to Apple Pay ® or Google PayTM so you can take advantage of contactless technology and pay with your device at participating merchants. When you use your debit card (or your mobile wallet) for purchases, you can earn up to 2% cash back on common everyday expenses (maximum of $500 in 2% rewards per calendar year) and unlimited 1% cash back on all other eligible debit card purchases, including on common everyday expenses after the $500 maximum with direct deposit.²
Need cash? Use your debit card – we charge no ATM fees for Active Accounts.⁵
You can link an external bank account and transfer money between accounts.⁷ Simply sign in to your Rewards Checking Plus account to link and tap transfer at the bottom of your screen.
How do I set up direct deposit?
- Setting up direct deposit is easy! Start by signing into your Upgrade account. From your Rewards Checking Plus account dashboard, click “Deposit”, then “Direct Deposit”.
From here, you have two options:
- You can set up direct deposit automatically - all you have to do is find your payroll company or employer and provide your login credentials OR,
- You can set up direct deposit manually by generating a pre-filled letter to send to your employer’s payroll department.
And you're done!
Why should I set up direct deposit?
- When you set up direct deposit, you are trusting your paycheck with us. Our aim is to repay that trust by offering you top tier rewards and account benefits.
The following top tier benefits are available to customers with $1,000 in monthly direct deposits¹:
- Up to 2% cash back on purchases²
- Add Performance Savings to earn up to 5.07% APY³
- Access to mobile check deposit feature
- ATM fee rebates (up to 5 per month)⁵
- Up to 20% lower rate on personal loans and cards through Upgrade⁶
Set up direct deposit, maximize your account benefits, and enjoy using your debit card with rewards!
How does early paycheck work?
- Customers who set up direct deposit can get paid up to two days early⁴ to pay bills, go shopping, or have a night out!
In order to take advantage and access your funds up to 2 days early, you must:
- Open a deposit account through Upgrade (Rewards Checking, Everyday Savings, Premier Savings)
- Set up direct deposit into your deposit account, and
- Receive less than $5,000 per direct deposit into your deposit account
Access your paycheck sooner and start using your debit card with rewards!
Upgrade cannot guarantee that you will receive your direct deposit early. The timeframe for you to receive your direct deposit is entirely dependent on when your employer initiates the payroll payment. Cross River Bank will make the funds available in your account when the ACH file is received, which can be up to 2 days prior to the deposit date.